Thursday, February 02, 2006

Competitive wealth

How much is enough? It is said that if one has just enough cash to survive and a little more left to have fun, then one should consider himself lucky and stop complaining. But who will pay for my luxuries? Who will cushion me against future shocks?

How will I feel good when I am not passionate about my work? I need at least some wicked satisfaction that I am higher in the pecking order by the money I make. Or to be exact my credit worthiness- How much will a bank bet on me if I go searching for a loan now. This is competitive wealth. What is important is not how much one needs/has but how one earns compared to others. Ostentatiousness commands respect. This race is for winning easy esteem. But the real excitement is playing the game. Ask any researcher.


Now what is competitive poverty?!! Yeh, there is competition to be poor too. Remember seeing college kids humiliating themselves by staking how poor they were in childhood? This really is an exercise of stressing superior cleverness. To show that, one has landed up at that place in spite of minimal social/financial help compared to compatriots; possibly because of one's brain power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home